1.09.2019

Life in Maine

 

I’m officially a Mainer.

On December 30th I packed up my things, got in my car with my best friend, & drove 2,000 miles North to meet my fiancé at our new home in Maine.

I have never lived this far away from my family. My place in Jackson was the first time I had ever lived away from my parents, much less on the complete opposite side of the country. It’s been hard; I’ve cried a lot & am dreading the holidays & birthdays to come where I wont be able to see them in person. I keep reminding myself of what my mom told me when I found out we were officially moving - that there is no better time to do this than now.

Since i’ve lived here it has snowed 3 times & the low for Friday is 2ºF. Yes, that is really fucking cold, but as someone who literally despises being hot & sweaty, I’ll take it over a humid Summer day in the Deep South. I tried to drive to the ocean today but the roads were so slippery I turned around while other people zipped past me with their snow tires. This has been quite an adjustment.

There is no in-between with me, & the same thing applies to my feelings towards moving and Maine and the Deep South. I miss Mississippi & the Deep South so. much. I hate that i’m missing Mardi Gras, I hate that i’m not near my family and friends, & I hate not being in the state that I so strongly advocate for (makes me feel like my arguments aren't valid enough). On the flip-side, I love Maine. I love being able to say I leave in a coastal town and near mountains. I love the snow and I love how quaint every single little town in New England is (literally every single one). I love both states so strongly that it makes me feel very confused on how to feel at the moment. I kind of don't feel much at all. Except cold…

I am so glad to be back with Z, though. Being apart for a month and a half was not as rough as I thought it would be; I think that’s mostly due to the fact that Z works all day and then crashes around 6:30PM, so we didn't get to talk on the phone a lot. But as soon as I saw him after being separated I burst into tears and so did he. He had the house looking so cute for my first visit! He did an amazing job decorating the place, & there was even a Christmas tree waiting for me that he literally CHOPPED DOWN FROM THE WOODS. Pls. I cannot with how cute that is.

I haven't had anyone notice my accent yet, which I think might be because I don't have a very strong accent compared to most girls from the South. Or it could also be because saying “ya’ll” is trendy now (dont even get me started). I’ve also been told you can only really notice my accent on certain words (“boil” & “fixin’ to” give it away…).

I’m really excited to explore more of Maine. If you have any suggestions of places I need to check out, comment below! Currently on my list is Camden, Acadia National Park, & Rockland. See y'all soon!

- S

Post a Comment

© freckles and film.. Design by FCD.